Goal: A 100% open source replacement for Workplace Shell.
Reuse: XWorkplace components (GNU GPL V2).
- The WorkplaceShell clone should run on top of OS/2 Warp 4.52 or eComStation 2.x which means that the WorkplaceShell clone should run over IBM's SOM and IBM's PM.
- Replicate as much of the original WorkplaceShell functionality as possible. Strange stuff (classes) that are not used may not be cloned.
- Open source under the GNU GPL license, since XWorkplace has a lot of work and derivative works should be done under the same license.
- Try to replace dependencies on VisualAge for C++ 3 which is used by XWorkplace and try to use GCC compiler. SOM compiler will remain the IBM one.
- Developers... I don't have (yet) no one interested on the project. It is also hard to find developers with WPS and SOM skills.
- Money. It will be very hard to find someone for free.
- Any strange behavior (quirks) on IBM SOM will need to be supported until IBM's SOM can be cloned.
- After a working clone of WorkplaceShell is created, it will require future re-works/tweaking when the SOM and PM clones gets created.
- WPS-XShadow- GNU GPL V2
- WPS-LSwitcher - GNU GPL V2
- WPS-Bubblepad - BSD
- WPS-CandyFolder - GNU GPL V2
- WPS-Doodle-Screen-Saver - GNU GPL V2
- WPS-ZipZap - GNU GPL V2
- WPS-Stats - GNU GPL V2
This are the first steps that I have pending to understand more this possibility.
- Know more about WorkplaceShell architecture to understand the work items that need to be procedure.
- Try to assess with developer(s) what can be re-used from XWorkplace and time efforts to accomplish a 100% WPS clone.